Posted: Sat, October 11, 2014 | By: Cryonics
From David Pizer and the Venturists
The Society for Venturism will hold its End Death - Cryonics Convention this November 7, 8 and 9, 2014, at cryonicist Don Laughlin’s Riverside Resort in Laughlin, Nevada.
To register for the convention: Go to www.venturist.info
A schedule and registration information are below.
Larry Page, the CEO of Google, announced last year the formation of Calico, a new company that will act on “moonshot thinking” about improving human health. Calico has the mission, according to its website, of “tackling aging, one of life’s greatest mysteries.”
Aubrey de Grey, Ph.D., the freethinking gerontologist, says in his TED Talk that “a lot of people alive today are going to live to 1,000 or more.”
And inventor Ray Kurzweil, called by the Wall Street Journal “the closest thing to a Thomas Edison of our time,” says that “We have the means right now to live long enough to live forever.” (The Singularity is Near, p. 371.)
Are we therefore on the threshold of being able to live indefinitely, as Robert Ettinger predicted 50 years ago in his visionary book, The Prospect of Immortality, which started the cryonics movement? To find out, you are invited to a cryonics, life extension and transhumanism convention at Don Laughlin’s Riverside Resort Hotel & Casino will be held this November 7, 8 and 9, 2014, in the Riverside’s scenic Starview Room overlooking the Colorado River.
All attendees will have plenty of time to meet the speakers, leaders and activists in the life extension community at this convention one on one during the leisurely breaks and buffet meal times.
The speakers will give you the very latest updates on cryonics research, ways to improve your chances for rejuvenation and survival, and new ideas in transhumanism. Plus you can circulate during the ample breaks to network with the speakers and attendees and exchange ideas.
Also all attendees can reserve free table space in the Starview Room’s exhibition area to display their free literature; sell books, DVDs, dietary supplements and other life extension related products; and talk to people one on one about your company or organization.
For lodging at the Riverside Resort, you will have to make your own room reservations separately by calling the Riverside at the toll-free number within the United States: 800-227-3849; or the Nevada number: 702-298-2535. Use the Hotel Reservations Group Code: “Cryonic.” The special low rates are: $29 for Thursday, Nov. 6; $49 for Friday, Nov. 7; $49 for Saturday, Nov. 8; and $29 for Sunday, Nov. 9.
If you are a person who wants to help end death in our lifetimes, then I believe it is a must to be at this event to get the current news and options for trying to avoid death for you and your loved ones. If you want to help, please pass this information on to all your sources.
This is the “place to be” to learn the latest in Cryonics, Transhumanism, A.I., and extreme measures taking place now to end death for humans as soon as possible. This is also the place for YOU to present your ideas at the Sunday Morning Round Circle discussions.
Here is the schedule of speakers and times for the 2014 End Death Convention in November.
THURSDAY EVENING NOVEMBER 6
- For early arrivals: If you are at the Riverside Resort on Thursday between 5 pm and 9 pm, come by the Starview Room and register early and meet some other attendees and make new friends. This will be a very informal get together on Thursday afternoon and evening as a lot of people check into the Riverside Resort on Thursday evening so as to be ready Friday morning.
Note: All meals are in the Starview room and are for cryonicists and their guests only and at special low rates.
FRIDAY NOVEMBER 7
- 8:00 am Starview room opens at 8 am and registration starts at 8am (if already pre-registered, pick up your badges, meet others and visit the exhibition area.) You are invited to come early and meet others and socialize.
8:30 am to 9:15 am Breakfast buffet is served for cryonicists in the Starview Room.
- 9:30 am Welcome message, orientation and questions from the audience.
- 10:00 am Cairn Idun: Title of presentation: What You Can do to Optimize Your Chances of an Optimal Cryo-Preservation: T-3 – Time, Temperature and Technique.
- 10:30 am David Kekich: President and CEO of the Maximum Life Foundation. Title of presentation: Duck the Dewar: A different kind of life-extension strategy.
- 11:00 am Chana Phaedra: President of Advanced Neural Biosciences, Inc. Title of presentation: New Research at Advanced Neural Biosciences, Inc. Topics include long-term cold ischemia, the effect of stabilization medications on cryopreservation, and whole brain cryopreservation.
- 11:30 am Jake McCurdy Cryonics movie presentation
NOON: Buffet lunch for cryoncists and their guests in Starview Room: (eat with and meet the speakers in person, and other attendees, make new friends, visit the exhibition area).
- 1:30 pm Peter Voss Founder and CEO of Adaptive A.I. Inc, Title of presentation: Artificial Intelligence and the Future: What is the current state of AI research? What approaches are likely to achieve human-level thinking? By when? What are some of the risks and benefits? What are Possible Implications for Cryonicists?
- 2:00 pm Lincoln Cannon (Cofounder and President of the Mormon Transhumanist Association). Title of presentation: Mormon Transhumanism: Learn how the doctrine of one of America’s fastest growing churches is compatible with the goals of Transhumanism.
- 2:30 pm Natasha Vita-More, PhD: Pioneering transhumanist and full professor at the University of Advancing Technology, Tempe Arizona, Presents: The Memory Project: A Talk About Dr. Vita-More’s Recent Research.
- 3:30 pm Joe Kowalsky Director of the Cryonics Institute Title of Presents: Make It So: Improving cryonics communications with the public.
- 4:00 pm Ben Best Former CEO of the Cryonics Institute, Presents: Vital Signs Alarm for Cryonicists: Sudden unattended death is one of the worst things that can happen to a cryoncist to compromise getting a good suspension. Learn how to take advantage of the increasingly affordable technologies which monitor your vital signs and send out alarms when you are in danger of imminent cardiac arrest.
- 4:30 pm Mark Voelker PhD. Former Director of the Alcor Life Extension Foundation, Presents: Why Funding Your Suspension Only With Life Insurance May Not be the Best Option, and What Your Other Options Are.
- 5:00 Long Break for socializing, bar opens at 5:00,
- 6:00 to 7:00 Buffet Dinner Party (Bar is open)
- 7:00 pm David Pizer President the Society for Venturism. Retired V.P. Treasurer and 11 year Director of the Alcor Life Extension Foundation. Title of presentation: Ways to Protect your Cryonics Suspension
- 7:30 pm Aaron Drake Medical Response Director of the Alcor Life Extension Foundation: Title of presentation: Progress in Medical Applications of Hypothermia Could Make the Medical Community More Receptive to the Practice of Cryonics
SATURDAY NOVEMBER 8
- 8:00 am Starview room opens at 8 am and late registration starts at 8 am Visit the exhibition area, meet other cryonicists, Transhumanists.
8:30 am to 9:15 am buffet Breakfast is available in the Starview Room.
- 9:30 am R. Michael Perry PhD Alcor Patient Caretaker, Alcor Treasurer, Vice President of the Venturist Organization. Title of presentation: Religion and the Scientific Quest for Immortality
- 10:00 am Rudi Hoffman Specialist in cryonics funding through life insurance Title of presentation: Cryonics Funding in an Inflationary Universe: The affordable Immortalist returns: Learn how affordable a cryonics suspension can be by using life insurance as the funding mechanism.
- 10:30 am Neal Vanderee Officiator at the Church of Perpetual Life Title of presentation: A Church for Transhumanists: The church of perpetual life.
- 11:0 0 am Jordan Sparks: Founder of Oregon Cryonics, a new cryonics company. Title of presentation: A Regional Approach to Cryonics
- 11:30 am John Harden Cryonics movie presentation
Noon to 2:00 Buffet lunch (eat, meet speakers and other attendees, make new friends, visit the exhibition area).
- 2:00 pm Catherine Baldwin Chief Operating Officer of Suspended Animation: Title of presentation: Future Care of Cryonics Patients: An update on current “field stabilization” care and discussion of on future directions of this kind of care for cryonics patients.
- 3:00 pm Mark Plus Secretary of the Society for Venturism. Title of presentation: Death Avengers Assemble! How Robert Ettinger predicted Transhumanism.
- 4:00 pm David A. Ettinger. Son of Robert Ettinger, the founder of the cryonics movement. Title of presentation: A Life in Cryonics: Learn what it was like to grow up in the home where the father was the founder of cryonics and one of the early, visionary Transhumanists.
- 5:00 to 6:00 pm Long break for socializing, talk in person to David Ettinger, bar opens at 5:00,
- 6:00 to 7:30 pm Buffet Dinner Party
- 7:30 pm Greg Fahy PhD Title of presentation: A Scientific Investigation of Cryonics – The fate of the brain in situ under ideal and non-ideal clinical conditions.
- 8:30 pm Don Laughlin Film makers and audience question and interviews Mr. Laughlin on stage.
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 9
- 8:00 am Starview room opens time for socialization and visiting the exhibition area.
8:30 to 9:15 am buffet breakfast
- 9:15 am Round circle discussion with input by all the attendees on how to make future conventions better and discussion by all the attendees on how to make cryonics better, for instance: how to get more members to sign up for cryonics and how to improve things in general. Bring and share your ideas as each attendee will have a chance to present ideas to the group.
We intend to adjourn by 11:15 am and the convention will then be over.
To register for the convention: Go to www.venturist.info
Note: All our meals will be available for reasonable prices in our own Starview room. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and evening cocktail hours = we have our own special no-smoking, giant room which holds everything, the auditorium, the eating area, the exhibition area, rest rooms, the registration area and the socializing area.
Note: During the whole convention, there are table spaces available (free to every attendee), for each attendee to bring relevant information to display to the group, offer handouts, sell related items, sell books and life extension art work. There is no charge for free exhibition space.
Special Thursday event in Las Vegas: For those traveling to Laughlin through Vegas, there will be an open house at the new cryonics underground house. You’ve got to see some unbelievable pictures of this place = just google the search words: “famous underground house in Las Vegas.” For info about the tour, email Mark Voelker at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.